As we get older, we often need to work on exercises that improve our fine motor skills.
We should never be complacent about the dexterity of our fingers and our ability to make agile movements such as picking up smaller items or buttoning our clothes.
For seniors who have trouble with their grip strength and finger dexterity, they can try out these exercises.
Skills: Fine motor, grip strength
- Finger Scissors – Squeeze between your fingers
- Fingertip Pinch -Pinch ball using thumb and fingertips
- Flat Pinch – Use fingers to pinch ball into thumb
- Power Grip – Grab ball and squeeze all fingers into it
- Full Grip – Press 4 fingers into your palm
- Foam ball / stress ball
- Squeeze the ball and hold it for 3-5 seconds.
- Release slowly.
- Repeat 10-15 times.
- Repeat with other hand.
For a less/ more challenging activity, you can:
- Vary your senior’s position between sitting and/or standing.
- Use a variety of ball sizes